Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pakistan will struggle without experienced players
01-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Pakistan will struggle without experienced players
Wasim Akram - Pakistan’s opportunity to close the year on a winning note has been dashed. The T20 series loss in New Zealand just goes to show Pakistan are still not playing as a unit. Lack of experienced players and seaming conditions in New Zealand are certainly not helping their cause. I get the feeling that without the likes of Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Aamer, Pakistan will always struggle against quality sides. There is lack of leadership and direction in the team and the boys are just not playing to their potential. If this continues, I am afraid that they will struggle in the coming Test and ODI series.
India’s great comeback in Durban underlined the quality and depth of their team. More importantly, it showed that India have several match-winners in their squad. More than his runs, VVS Laxman’s application should be a lesson for the youngsters. Laxman’s ability to stand tall when the chips are down is commendable and that is why I keep saying there is no substitute for experience.
Sachin Tendulkar has hogged the limelight in the series against South Africa for his runs and records, but I think Laxman, Zaheer, Harbhajan and even Dhoni have made great contribution for the team’s success. India have looked like a complete team and if they are No. 1 in the world, there are enough reasons for that.
Before the South Africa series started, I was a bit iffy about how India would play on seaming wickets, but I am happy India have proved me wrong. They are looking confident and even if Cape Town produces a green-top, a buoyant India will be up for it. South Africa better watch out.
Down Under, England have definitely surprised me with their terrific all-round cricket against Australia. England have shown what team cricket is all about. Quite like India, the team spirit is showing in their batting and bowling and ahead of the World Cup, these are great signs. Unfortunately for Australia, things have not fallen in place.
The Aussies would have now realized that without the likes of Shane Warne, Mathew Hayden, Glenn McGrath, it’s not easy to win against quality sides in Test cricket. After the star players retired, the Aussies have struggled to bring in proper replacements and their bench strength is very weak. The problem with Australia is that apart from Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke and Mike Hussey, they don’t have the batsmen to combat real quality bowling.
The media has been hard on Ponting, who has been clearly out of form. This is Ponting’s third Ashes loss and he has got to face the music from every quarter. Punter is a great player but he too succumbed to the pressure and stress of paying in the Ashes. Ponting’s future is certainly in the dock but I still feel he is one of the greatest players we have ever seen. You must respect a man like Ponting and he must be backed and encouraged.
Here’s wishing my readers a very Happy New Year. Sachin Tendulkar wins my vote as the top cricketer of 2010 and I am sure we have not heard the last of him. The New Year is full of cricket and I am looking forward to some nail-biting action. God Bless!
There can’t be a better way than ending the year on a high. India and England must be feeling on top of the world
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2010 remains a year of sufferings and struggle for Pakistan Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,361 01-01-2011 11:40 AM
Last Post: Lahore_Real_Estate
  PCB asks players to avoid World Cup advertisements Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,368 12-08-2010 01:06 PM
  No charges against Pakistan players: PCB chief Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,194 09-09-2010 10:38 AM
  ICC charges Pak players under corruption code Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,047 09-03-2010 12:16 PM
  Pakistan may drop players under probe Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,200 08-31-2010 12:38 PM
  Nokia continues to struggle in smartphone market Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,027 07-23-2010 12:59 PM
  All power players focusing on constitutional knock-out (by Shaheen Sehbai) Naveed Yaseen 0 3,371 10-23-2009 06:20 AM
Last Post: Naveed Yaseen
  20 women, children trampled to death in struggle for free flour Naveed Yaseen 0 3,656 09-15-2009 07:15 AM
Last Post: Naveed Yaseen
  Doctors’ warning on MP3 players LahoreEstate 0 3,033 01-21-2009 10:25 AM
Last Post: LahoreEstate
  Foreign banks struggle for survival LRE 0 2,398 11-07-2008 08:34 PM
Last Post: LRE
  Stock Exchange Cirsis: 3 Big Players Sold Rs.300 Billion Property to cover the Loss LRE 0 2,667 07-31-2008 01:06 PM
Last Post: LRE