Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Be my valentine?
02-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Be my valentine?
By Muhammad Aayan

LAHORE: In school days, there are certain things that one does not wish to do but has to because of peer pressure, and in real life there is the pressure of society on different occasions, such as Valentine’s Day.

With the fantasy of real love being the most sellable commerciality, people have no choice but to at least think about the possibility of love even if they are single on this day.

A survey conducted by Daily Times, revealed that most single people feel depressed on this day whereas many enjoy flirting, while only a handful of genuine lovers manage to express their feelings. People with sore relationships spend the day with a frown and there are also a few people who just feel happy by seeing people exchange cards, cakes, flowers and other gifts.

A youngster said that he does not feel lonely until his friends taunt him for not having a girlfriend. “On this day the situation gets worse and I start feeling left out as everyone is either pursuing a girl or already has one to spend the day with,” he said.

Many people give cards to their siblings, parents, teachers and friends on Valentine’s Day just to show their affection, which is one of the most appreciated facts of this day as well. Heart shaped balloons, cakes and cards reach top sales on this day.

Renowned painter and teacher Zarah David said that only if people could open their hearts towards the unprivileged ones, the world could be a better place. “There is so much that we can contribute to society which can eventually turn into affection from every corner. I hope that people can get past their selfishness and give to the deserving ones and that’s how Valentine’s Day should be celebrated,” she said.

Many people see this day as a foreign event which has no roots in our culture but at least the public gets to see some decorations in connection with this day and get an excuse to smile in the harsh circumstances facing the country.

Actress Mehreen Raheel said that one should not hold back their feelings for anyone and they should be expressed at the right time. “I think love has to be celebrated every single day and it should not be restricted to Valentine’s. With the situation our country is in, I think everyone needs love to feel strong and support each other,” she said.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  My Valentine, Sir Syed Ahmad Khan (JAved Ch) LRE 0 3,333 02-14-2010 06:15 PM
Last Post: LRE
  Valentine's day (Cartoon) LahoreEstate 0 2,516 02-14-2009 10:56 AM
Last Post: LahoreEstate
  Karachi: DHA residents demand increased vigilance on Valentine’s Day Naveed Yaseen 0 2,578 02-12-2009 06:34 AM
Last Post: Naveed Yaseen